On November 21st in Manchester The Northern Health Science Alliance, in partnership with Alderley Park and the University of Manchester, brought Northern experts and thought leaders in ageing health together with a Canadian delegation.
The visitors from the British Consulate Toronto and Canadian healthy ageing institutions and organisations met with members of local authorities, research institutions, SMEs and innovation hubs from across the North of England.
The objectives of the day were to start conversations around:
- Undertaking two-way knowledge exchange in research and development of health tech acceleration and technology adoption
- Building relationships and research partnership opportunities set to address mutual, international challenges
- Creating potential channels for future commercial collaboration
The day was chaired by Paul McGarry, Head of the Greater Manchester Ageing Hub, Greater Manchester Combined Authority, co-facilitated by NHSA Chief of Staff, Nicki Wilson and Jane McDermott from the Healthy Ageing Research Group at the University of Manchester . Keith Miller of Alderley Park contributed valuable input on commercial opportunities.
As an outcome of the day, it was agreed to create a framework of collaboration which is now known as ‘Anglo-Canadian Collaboration on Healthy Ageing (ACCHA)’.
Yusra Uzair, Head of Science, Innovation and Policy at the British Consulate-General in Toronto said: “It was very important for us to be given the opportunity to meet with representatives from the healthy ageing ecosystem that sits within the North of England, and working with Nicki, Keith and Jane made our objective a reality. Our day with our Northern England colleagues has resulted in tangible opportunities via a time-lined action plan and started a sequence of activity set to support international collaboration.”
Immediate next steps:
- A summary of the day’s activity and discussion has been written up and shared between the attendees with a robust timeline of short, medium and long-term actions agreed
- A multi-institutional / organisational Memorandum of Understanding is in process of being negotiated and agreed
These documents and other resources will be available to view here shortly.
Related News Articles
Ageing: Science, Technology and Healthy Living report published
Report published by House of Lords Science and Technology Committee
Challenge to find new ideas for healthy longevity
Researchers invited to apply for fund that aims to inspire innovations to improve the quality of life for people as they age.
Bone health project shortlisted for HSJ Partnership Awards
Northern Health Science Alliance collaborative project has been shortlisted for the HSJ Partnership Awards 2020